Friday, March 9, 2012

FAME - The "DANCE!!!" Edition


Welcome to the second episode of FAME! I know that for some of you this may turn out to be the first episode of SAME (Saturday Awesome Music & Entertainment), but it really couldn’t be helped. I’m still in the middle of applying for scholarships for college, and there was a bit of a fiasco whilst trying to create my graduation announcements and party invitations – so that’s why this is being posted later than I anticipated. But hey, at least it’s still being released on Friday right? :D

For this week’s FAME, we are reviewing “Fantastic Baby” by BIGBANG. If you haven’t listened to it yet, or just want to refresh your memory then please follow the link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAbokV76tkU&feature=g-u&context=G242e94bFUAAAAAAACAA

Now can I (Vic) just take a moment to say, “YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!” hahaha – for 2 reasons: 1. We get to do a review of a BIGBANG song before Simon and Martina, and 2. I had no idea if YG really was going to release a music video for the song, but they did just in time for us to review it! And by us, I mostly mean me, because Dillon has a load of homework to plow through :[ … (He might be able to add some comments on later though.)

For those of you who don’t already know, I can definitely qualify as a VIP (I don’t go overboard with fangirling though – I mean, if I saw a member of BIGBANG walking down the street, I would definitely wave, but, unless they called me over to them, I wouldn’t bother to approach them. I know what band life is like [to a degree]; getting a bunch of attention from people you don’t know is kinda fun, but if you’re a shy person, then it can be rather scary at the same time). Anyways, I’m really excited that I get review “Fantastic Baby” this week since you guys voted it in. I have to be honest with you guys though; when I first heard this song, I didn’t really like it. Actually, I was laughing rather hysterically because of TOP’s part where he says “boomshakala”. I couldn’t believe that the phrase “boomshakala” was making a comeback. But, I do have a rule for myself – I must listen to the song 3 times before judging whether I like or dislike it. So, I listened to “Fantastic Baby” again…and again…and again. Let’s just say that I changed my mind and decided to play it on loop – for several days in a row. In fact, when I put it on the charts this week, I didn’t even know if there was going to be a music video for it or not.

My friends that I’ve shared it with this week had about the same reaction I did too – except playing it on loop everyday. Unlike BIGBANG’s “Blue”, however, this song does not evoke a universal appreciation for Korean music . This is probably because “Fantastic Baby” has a much stronger K-Pop vibe to it. And yes, I do think K-Pop has an “acquired taste” to it – especially K-Pop music videos.
I also have to admit that I didn’t like the music video at all the first time I watched it. I think it was because I had already listened to the song so many times before the release of the video – so I had already begun creating an image of the music video in my head. The only problem when I did see the music video is that it didn’t match what I had created with my imagination at all. I was rather crestfallen, but I still forced myself to watch the video at least 3 more times. And, you guessed it, I put the music video on loop. One time I replayed the video just so I could count how many times GD’s hair changed – 6 times in case you were wondering.  I still don’t completely love the music video (I’ll explain why later), but I do have an appreciation for it now.

I had to watch the music video several times to appreciate the levels of symbolism YG has incorporated into this one. I mean, seriously, this MV is jam-packed with symbolism. On a not so artsy-fartsy note though, I love the fact that they incorporated an owl into the MV. It seemed oddly placed, but I still think it’s cool. In the opening of the video it seems that BIGBANG is trying to raise a resistance against all of the cookie-cutter/military forces who believe dancing and music are inappropriate.  (maybe they’re trying to tell the elders “hey, it’s ok to have some fun – and we’re gon’ do it whether you like it or not – just feel the beat and have fun”) The members of BIGBANG are placed on thrones throughout the video because they are the great leaders – the kings – of the resistance.  BIGBANG even mockingly wears stylized face guards like those worn by the cookie-cutter/anti-music people to show how they are the new, improved rule setters. GD leads them all in from his throne, TOP shows up next … in a picture frame? (Ugh I’ll have to address this in a minute), then Taeyang leads by peaceful resistance through meditation, Daesung is chained by the oppression of the current leaders, and Seungri is challenges the oppressors from his throne. Then, they finally come down off of their thrones to instruct their followers and dance the night away.

Enough with the artsy-fartsy interpretations though! I want to address my problems I had with the video that way I can end on a good note. TOP, oh TOP, you have turned into “just a face” for people to look at – not the intense rapper you were back in the days of “Haru Haru”. Why, YG, would you stick TOP in a picture frame and only let him finish the end lines to his rap parts? It almost makes him look like he forgot his lines whilst filming the video so he decided to bluff by looking into the camera and only lip-sync the words he could remember – but that’s just my opinion. (I know that TOP is way too professional to let a scenario like that occur, but that’s just what it looks like to me.) Also, Daesung may be looking mighty fine, but do you really have to edit it the super-sexy-watch-me-flex-my-muscles bits? Granted, the fangirl in me is saying “eeehhheeee yay! Daesung has always been my favorite because of the timbre that his voice carries and YG finally decided to actually give him a bit of limelight this year.” But then rational part of me says, “Why, YG, must you market Daesung like he’s a nice piece of meat?”  In fact, the only member of the group that didn’t completely expose his upper half in the MV was GD. Hmm. The eccentric hair and clothing makes up for it? – Which brings me to the praise section of the MV :)

I love the fact that GD’s hair changed 6 times throughout the course of the video. Yes, I was so intrigued by it that I just had to count it. I also loved how well GD’s lyrics and role in the music video matched. I thought Seungri’s lyrics and role matched perfectly as well. In fact, I’m wondering if his part will result in the MV and song being banned from certain playing times on Korean radio stations (like DBSK’s “Mirotic”) because of the lyrical content. Taeyang really gets into his part too. He even nearly gave himself whiplash by rocking out so hard (at 3:48 in the MV). I’m not a huge fan of tattoos, but I can appreciate relevant body art (which washes off). I love how they brought back the cassette with wings – that was a nice nostalgic touch.  I also really liked the atmosphere at the end of the video. It was all about people free styling and having a good time – which is exactly what the lyrics convey. Sometimes I wished parts of the video were choreographed, but then I realize that that could detract from the intentions of the lyrics.
As usual, I had no problems understanding any of the English lyrics in the song, so I’ll give BIGBANG a 5 out of 5 for pronunciation.

And that’s all for FAME this week. Please head on over to our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/thelifeandtimesofan/) and look for the pole to vote for next week’s Friday Awesome Music & Entertainment. Also, feel free to leave us any suggestions or comments you may have through email (thelifeandtimesofan@gmail.com), our Facebook page, or on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/V_sLifeandTimes). Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog :D I'll add it to my blog roll. This is Trevor, by the way >:)

    ReplyDelete