Thursday, March 15, 2012

FAME – Miro (Miroslav Kostadinov) “Angel Si Ti” aka “You’re an Angel”


Welcome to the third episode of FAME! I know that for some of you this may turn out to be the second episode of SAME, but, once again, life happened – making it impossible for me (Vic – Dillon will be out this week due to loads of homework) to get this post out this afternoon. But hey, it’s still Friday in my part of the world, so we’ll say that it still counts. ^_^

For this week’s FAME, I will be reviewing “Angel Si Ti” by Miro (<-- click me to watch the music video [I'm finally learning how to seamlessly incorporate links ^_^] ). 



Dillon is actually the person who shared this song with me in the first place because he introduced me to Eurovision. He’s also responsible for my addiction to foreign music (or at least it’s foreign to me since it isn’t produced in the states), but that’s another story haha. Anyways, this song is a product of the Eurovision song contest in 2010. And, even though I’ve been listening to it for two years, I still love it. Miro made two versions of this song – one in Bulgarian and another in English. I usually listen to the English version just so I can know what the lyrics actually are, but I still enjoy listening to it in its original language as well. Everyone I’ve shared “You’re an Angel” with has also shared my reaction and loved the song.

I absolutely love the tone of this song and the lyrics. Yes, it may be a typical love song, but I’m still a sucker for it since the soundtrack behind it has so many layers. I’m also a sucker for almost any song that incorporates an orchestral strings section or a piano track, and this song uses both. On top of the beautiful piano and strings part, Kostadinov’s voice blends beautifully with the track. It’s a great piece of modern pop craftsmanship – if that’s even possible to say (I almost find it an oxymoron since pop music and craftsmanship rarely go hand-in-hand).

I do have a few complaints though – not pertaining to the song. The song is gorgeous; the music video however, is, well, I find it rather atrocious. I can understand musicians being on a tight budget, but this was made for an international audience. Why does the video look like it was done on such a tight budget? I mean, half of the backgrounds are really bad computer animations – as are the special effects when he’s walking around in the streets. Ok, I get the point that he’s a fallen angel – so he falls from a big star from space to Earth in the beginning of the video, but couldn’t it have been slightly more realistic looking? I also like the idea of the wings throughout the video, but they’re still really fake. It makes me sad. I do like how people seem naturally drawn to him on the streets, but I don’t see how that really correlates to the lyrics of the song. The English version of the music video “You’re an Angel” is nearly completely different from its Bulgarian counterpart. The video is a bit graphic, but it does seem to have a decent plot to it which matches the lyrics of the song. It still has a bit of bad computer imaging in it; however the film quality seems to have drastically improved. It doesn’t seem to be as low budget as the video officially posted on the Eurovision website/YouTube channel. There isn’t really much to try to interpret in either video since the lyrics and the video match up decently. So, no artsy-fartsy comments this week.

The live performances of this song are also great. Overall, I think Miroslav Kostadinov is a great singer, even if his Bulgarian music video is bad quality. It seemed rather obvious that he enjoys singing and doing what he loves – or at least that’s what I gathered from the permanent grin on his face during his live performances.

As for the English version of this song, I’ll give it a 5 out of 5. I didn’t have any problems understanding any of the lyrics because his pronunciation was always “spot on”.

And that’s all for FAME this week. Please head on over to our Facebook page and look for the pole to vote for next week’s Friday Awesome Music & Entertainment, or just look for the pole in the top left area of this blog to cast your votes there as well. Also, feel free to leave us any comments or suggestions you may have in the comments section, through email, our Facebook page, or on Twitter. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment