Friday, February 17, 2012

My Valentine's Day

Ok. I finally finished editing the video that was actually meant to be released on Valentine's Day. YAY! Now my comment about how I "love-uh" all you guys should make much more sense.


On Facebook, Rene asked about any Valentine's traditions, so I will share my version of Valentine's Day. First, I should probably give a little background about how things go here though. In the states, Valentine's day is always, and I mean ALWAYS, about the girl. Traditionally the guy (usually the boyfriend or husband) gets the girl flowers (usually red roses), chocolates (which come in a heart shaped box), jewelry, a teddy bear, a card (usually with some sort of sappy poem), or a combination of any/all of these. Couples tend to make an extra effort to go on a romantic date - like a picnic or out someplace really fancy, etc. In other words, the girl must be told how special she is and then must be showered in romantic presents. In my opinion, it's the most superficial holiday we've thought up so far. Oh, and for the single people out there, this seems to be a holiday to remind them just how single they are. Just google "forever alone". Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. Let's move on to how I spend my Valentine's Day every year.

I have always been one of those single people on Valentine's Day, but I don't count myself as being alone. I just go about my day like it's normal - only there's usually candy at school, so I always manage to get a bit of candy. When I go home, my dad always has something for my mom and me. Mom usually gets Godiva chocolates and a Snoopy card, and I always (literally - ever since I was born) get a small heart shaped box of chocolates that has a little Snoopy figurine/key-chain tied to the top of it - sometimes I get a card also. Oh, dad always tells us that he loves us too, but he does that everyday anyways - so I don't really count it as a part of his Valentine's Day activities. Actually, in all the previous years, dad always had my little Snoopy box waiting for me first thing in the morning when I walk out my bedroom door, but this year he switched things up. Since I turned 18 this year (the age of a legal adult - the only restriction is no alcohol until 21 [in most states - but drinking laws are for another post]), I wasn't sure that I was going to get my little Snoopy. I woke up and there wasn't a small box outside my door, and, I have to admit - it did make me rather sad. I thought it was strange, but I went on with my day as always. There was a candy-gram drive going on at school to raise money for the student body which were all being delivered during the day. I never expected to get anything, but one of my freshmen friends, Boomer, sent me one. Yes, his name is actually Boomer - because his parents were just that awesome to give him a name like that. I gave him a hug, but I usually hug Boomer weekly anyways since he's really nice. *** I went about the rest of my day as usual and went home. I was the first one back at the house so I heated up some stuff for the family dinner and continued to look for where my dad might have hidden my Snoopy. Alas! My search was to no avail! So, I did the dishes. I was midway through cleaning up the kitchen while keeping an eye on the stove when my parents finally got home. While we fixed our plates, we were talking and dad nonchalantly asked me how my Valentine's Day had been. All I said was "No Snoopy" then acted and hung my head a little. Dad then told me how I was growing up and didn't think I wanted little kid toys like that anymore. We finished fixing our plates and went to the family room. Lo and behold my Snoopy tied to a small heart shaped box of Whitman's peanut butter cups was sitting in my chair. I grinned and jumped up and down on the spot a little and said "hey mister, you tricked me!" (I'm really a little kid at heart - I love my little Snoopy(s) - I could really care less about the candy haha). Both of my parents chuckled and dad said "well I guess I'll have to keep getting them for you even when you're in college wont I?" I, of course, said "always!" and grinned. And that, ladies and gentlemen reading this post, was my Valentine's Day for 2012.

***NOTE! In American culture there are two main types of greetings - the hand shake and the hug. Hand shakes are for acquaintances, business partners, friends, etc. Hugs are for family and close friends. There are all sorts of hugs (another topic for a different post), but most are completely acceptable for public society. In fact, it's expected. If you greet a close relative that you haven't seen in a while without giving that relative a hug, people will think something is wrong with you.

Sherlock Holmes Snoopy! <3

This is a picture of me and Boomer while we were traveling to an away game yesterday (hence the tie - that isn't the normal clothing he would be wearing for just everyday)

2 comments:

  1. I would say your Valentine's Day is better than mine :D Well I never got anything and guess what I was single ever since as well, but I don't really mind! The only thing I hate about beeing single that day is getting no chocolate... Your dad is a hero! (My dad hasn't even got something for my mum, but he never misses their annual wedding day.)
    So I think Valentine's Day is great if you have that special someone, but if you don't... well it's just another day then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon! well we should have made it into a WS love day and skyped or something then! I have a free period at school now when I'm not working on homework haha. Well, I'm glad he always remembers their wedding anniversary! That's WAYYYYY more important than anything on Valentine's Day. It really is just another day. Even if I had someone special I wouldn't want anything (ok, besides my snoopy - i love my snoopy(s)), it's really just a superficial day that is marketed to boost flower, chocolate, and teddy bear sales haha.

      Delete