Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Modern Sonnet 1

As you all know, by reading reading my previous post (http://thelifeandtimesofan.blogspot.com/2012/02/high-school-my-experience.html),  I am taking English 4 this year. English 4 specifically at my school is the study of the English Language through British texts. At the moment, we are studying sonnets, sonnet forms, and pastorals, so, for an exercise, our teacher, Mr. Lockhart, told us that we must create our own sonnets containing: 14 lines, a rhyme scheme following one of the three major forms (Petrarchan, Spenserian, or Shakespearian), and 10 syllables per line. Thankfully he didn't include iambic pentameter in the guidelines.

Up until about an hour ago, I had no idea what to write about, but he gave us the day to study for the test over sonnets and pastorals tomorrow and to work on our sonnets (which are due this Friday). I decided that, since I  would have time to study later tonight, I would work on my sonnet. I had no clue what I wanted to write about, so I just started coming up with phrases that rhymed - and this is what happened:

I am having a hard time thinking now
of what exactly to do and/or say
for, this difficult animal - a cow -
moves not for me at any time of day;
I never know how to communicate,
during any moment of this dull week,
to try to get it to budge at a rate
which does not completely, utterly reek.
However, I must admit, this cow is
the bomb diggity of this dreary world,
for it knows it is the absolute shiz
and sometimes walks slowly with tail unfurled
to prove to us all it is a cool beast
off of which we humans forever shall feast.

I was so proud of my "spur of the moment" sonnet that I felt like I just had to share it. I didn't even realize that I had included a pun until my second time reading it through. I hope you enjoyed it though :)

By the way, I don't really like cow meat that much - I'll take turkey or chicken over beef almost any day. This doesn't express my views on the world; it was just an English exercise. If you're offended by cows being eaten then you can also look at this feast coming from the milk cows produce which can lead to butter,  cheese, and other tasty, non-harmful beef products.

No comments:

Post a Comment